@kellycreates #brushlettering #brushcalligraphy #handlettering #guide #learn #worksheets #practice #script

When I began practising brush lettering and calligraphy in 2015, I fell in love. I quickly became entranced by the movement of the pen across the paper. The deliberate, slow motion of drawing letter forms brings me a sense of calm and relaxation.

Brush lettering is my escape from the busy world of technology and has become a wonderful new way for me to express my creativity.

And of course, I began thinking about how to share this beautiful art form with others. I designed some basic tracing worksheets, taught a workshop to a handful of women locally, and started to share online via Instagram and Periscope.

After teaching my workshop, I quickly realized that the tracing worksheets are an essential tool that helps people understand how to draw the letter forms and build muscle memory.

So I decided to design a more refined set, including important drills, as part of my teaching toolbox. Then an idea struck! After seeing my brush lettering online, the overwhelming response was “How can I learn to do this?” and “Do you have a guide, an e-book or videos?” These positive responses have motivated me to share my brush lettering practice worksheets online. Now people all over the world download and print my worksheets, and you can start practicing today!

I have added a SHOP on my website, and you will see the tab at the top.  You can also click on the tab “Learn Brush Lettering” as well and read more about the worksheets. I now have sets of worksheets for Small and Large brush tip pens, drills, lowercase alphabets, uppercase alphabets, and words (called “Connections”).

Beginners ask, “Where do I start?” I always answer, get a large brush pen and use Bundle 1 or get a small brush pen and use Bundle 2. It’s that simple. I have recommendations for brush pens (and affiliate shopping links) in my Shop with each set of worksheets.

I’m so excited to share the beautiful art of brush lettering and hope you enjoy your lettering journey as much as I do!

Here is a quick video introducing my Brush Lettering Worksheets:

I now offer in-person workshops worldwide, and if you are interested, click HERE to see my Workshop information. You can also contact me about teaching in your area, and we can set up a workshop tailored to you!  I also am developing some instructional videos to accompany the worksheets. Coming soon….

Happy Crafting….. and happy Brush Lettering!

28 Comments on Learn Brush Lettering with Practice Worksheets

1. Elizabeth
    March 30, 2016 at 3:04 pm (1 year ago)

So exciting! Your brush lettering is gorgeous. The time & efforts you took to create the practice sheets, appreciated. You were one of the first people I connected with on Periscope & hope to meet you & Finn in person one day!

• Kelly Klapstein
      March 30, 2016 at 4:46 pm (1 year ago)

Elizabeth! Thank you so much. I have enjoyed spending time with you on Periscope as well. xox

2. Sarah
    March 30, 2016 at 9:33 pm (1 year ago)

These are amazing! I have been practicing like crazy. Can’t wait for the upper case letters too.

3. Katrina
    April 1, 2016 at 1:08 pm (1 year ago)

How do I print your worksheets?

• Kelly
      April 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Katrina! You can click on the SHOP at the top menu or LEARN BRUSH LETTERING tab at the top. There you will receive instructions on how to get the download. The two sets are available for purchase in my “SHOP”. Let me know if you need any help. Thanks!

4. Maureen Reiss
    April 7, 2016 at 9:57 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Kelly!!

5. Cathy Cosgrove
    April 21, 2016 at 11:49 am (1 year ago)

Fantastic job, Kelly. I purchased the bundle and am so happy with it. Brush lettering is on my “I’ve Got to Learn How to Do This” list and I know that your sheets will make the learning process fun!

6. Marshall
    May 7, 2016 at 2:48 pm (1 year ago)

I am loving your worksheets. They really help with where to put pressure on the pen and where to let up.

Do you have a single sheet with the upper and lower case letters on it available as a reference? That would be really helpful for when I feel ready to do the letters freehand, but need to remember what each one looks like.

Thanks!

• Kelly
      May 9, 2016 at 8:44 am (1 year ago)

Hi Marshall, Because of your comment, I am going to develop that reference sheet and send it to customers who have signed up for my newsletter. Thanks for the great idea! love it!

• Marshall
        May 9, 2016 at 5:19 pm (1 year ago)

So cool … I can’t wait! Thanks!

7. Patricia MacNeil
    January 2, 2017 at 11:32 am (7 months ago)

Happy New Year Kelly!

8. Ruth von Kilian
    January 3, 2017 at 9:32 am (7 months ago)

Thank you for the worksheets. They are a great help.
    Blessings for 2017 all the way from South Africa
    Ruth

9. Jeanie
    January 4, 2017 at 11:23 pm (7 months ago)

I’m thrilled that I found you. Can’t wait to binge watch your videos and practice, practice, practice. Thank you

10. Teresa Doyle
    January 8, 2017 at 6:38 am (6 months ago)

Just amazing work Kelly!

11. Gary Condry
    January 10, 2017 at 8:54 pm (6 months ago)

Great idea and thanks for the help pages. Gary

12. Crystal
    January 17, 2017 at 6:32 pm (6 months ago)

What brand markers/pens do you primarily use?

• Kelly
      January 26, 2017 at 10:54 am (6 months ago)

Hi Crystal, Mostly I use Tombow Dual brush pens, Sakura Koi Coloring Brush Pens, and Kuretake Brushables or Scroll& Brush. For small brush tips, I like the Tombow Fudenosuke and the Pentel Sign Brush pens. There are also many more brush pens on the market that are great, but I don’t have them all ha ha. Hope this helps!

13. Lissette
    January 17, 2017 at 9:03 pm (6 months ago)

Do you have a list of the markers you use aside from the sharpies??

• Kelly
      January 26, 2017 at 10:53 am (6 months ago)

Hi Lisette, I actually don’t practice much with Sharpies. Mostly I use Tombow Dual brush pens, Sakura Koi Coloring Brush Pens, and Kuretake Brushables or Scroll& Brush. There are also many more brush pens on the market that are great, but I don’t have them all ha ha. Hope this helps!

14. James
    January 18, 2017 at 2:39 am (6 months ago)

Hello Sir,My names is James.I live in Myanmar.I want to Learn Brush Letting Paper.How can i do?Please sir.

• Kelly
      January 26, 2017 at 10:55 am (6 months ago)

Hi James, You can learn by buying a brush pen (either large tip or small tip) and then getting a set of my practice worksheets that are printable tracing guides. You will love them. Just click the SHOP tab to see them. I recommend Bundle 1 or Bundle 2 for beginners, depending on the brush tip size. Hope this helps!

15. Lue Perce
    January 28, 2017 at 11:14 pm (6 months ago)

I love your brush lettering techniques. I need to know where I can get your brush lettering practice sheets. Thanks

16. Elaine McDonald
    January 31, 2017 at 5:36 am (6 months ago)

Thank you for your amazing writing style. I do my own journaling and would love to have better penmanship. Hello from CSM and I and thank you for the inspiration

17. Valerie Breingan
    January 31, 2017 at 6:29 am (6 months ago)

Kelley ,Kelley, your new stamps from CHA rock.Lettering is something I’m just starting to learn and yours are just the jump one needs.I hopped over from CS to let you know .

18. jean marmo
    January 31, 2017 at 7:39 am (6 months ago)

Thank you for sponsoring at CSM!! Amazing inspiration!

19. Julie Feenaughty
    April 1, 2017 at 12:44 pm (4 months ago)

Could you please let me know which of your products that would work for left handers? I would love to do all of the different lettering?

• Kelly
      April 2, 2017 at 3:11 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Julie, lots of lefties are talented lettering artists. And there are also a lot of lefties who use my worksheets. It doesn’t matter which pen or worksheet you use with your left hand, but you will have to adjust the position of the paper and the push pull technique on the brush pen.

20. Annie Nguyen
    May 24, 2017 at 11:32 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you so much for your lovely worksheets <3